Feb. 15, 2017 – We’re excited to announce the acquisition of Moosejaw, a leading online outdoor retailer that will now join the Walmart U.S. eCommerce organization. Here are the key facts about the deal:
What was announced today?
- Walmart has acquired Moosejaw for approximately $51 million.
- The acquisition closed on Feb. 13, 2017.
Who is Moosejaw?
- Moosejaw is a leading online active outdoor retailer with a large web presence as well as 10 physical stores.
- Moosejaw carries more than 400 brands, including Patagonia, The North Face, Marmot, Arc’teryx and more. They have an extensive assortment of apparel and gear for climbing, hiking, camping, snow sports, yoga, swimming and biking.
- Moosejaw was founded in 1992 in Michigan and is headquartered in Madison Heights, Michigan.
How will Moosejaw fit into our e-commerce business?
- Moosejaw will continue to operate its site and stores as it has in the past, and will be run as a standalone and complementary brand to our other e-commerce sites.
- Apparel and accessories is now the number one category for digital commerce, according to comScore, and we gain the experience of another well-established e-commerce player, this time in the active outdoor category.
- Moosejaw has a large assortment of specialty apparel and accessories, strong industry relationships, and rich product content. Their expertise will help us further enhance our customer experience.
- Moosejaw CEO Eoin Comerford, his executive team, and Moosejaw’s 350-plus employees will continue to be based in Michigan, and will join our new U.S. e-commerce retail organization.
- Moosejaw suppliers that are interested in expanding their consumer reach will now have the opportunity to serve more customers through Jet.com and our other e-commerce sites.